Monday, September 3, 2012

It's all so new . . .

So here I sit . . . finally deciding to DO something other than ponder . . . consider . . . fret-over -- yet this blogging stuff is so foreign. I thought it would be more complicated, yet I fear it may be benign. I would prefer complicated over useless. Why write?

Many have insisted that I write. Not encouraged. Insisted. I don't like to write. I need a blazing impetus. The night before my daughter left for the other hemisphere for over 4 months was a blazing impetus. What did I want to say to her? What wisdom (ha ha ha), advice, love could I blanket her with? (oops . . . with which I could blanket her . . . ) I sat down hours before she left and wrote a couple pages of stream of conscious wonderment, if I do say so myself. I have no idea if she's re-read it. I have no idea if she'll save it. I have no idea if it had any impact on her, but when I re-read it before printing, I thought that maybe it had some merit -- some promise. I did the same thing the night before my son left to start college. Hard to know what he will have thought of it -- felt about it. He's all heart, but so cool, so who knows. I had to sit down and write my husband's obituary. His dad helped to get me started with a sort of outline -- but then I just wrote. I wrote until I was finished. It was sort of easy once I got started.

I'm alone in my home. Really alone. For the first time in 25 years. I chose NOT to be alone in life. I got married before my husband was out of college. We were dirt poor and leaned heavily on the love and generosity of our parents. We didn't want to live apart. All of a sudden, I'm an empty-nester. But I was "supposed" to be returning to that "just the two of us" stuff that is the jewel hidden behind the change and the bereavement suffered when your children leave your home. But that's not how things turned out. It's just me and my (yes, adoring) dog.

But not my husband. He died and I miss him. He was part of me. I was defined by my marriage -- by my family. I don't apologize for that or regret that. It's not a bad thing. It's a beautiful thing. I chose it. It is cleaving. But . . . I'm nearing the two-year mark. I've heard that 2 years is a turning point. I don't put much stock in hear-say or what others tell me I "should" be doing or experiencing, but I do sense change in my own momentum -- like an easing of inertia. The gift of kinetic energy creeping-in through my hibernative state. Maybe I'll lose a few pounds.

But why blog? What can I possibly have to offer anyone?

Empathy.

I became a motherless daughter at the age of 19. I have lots to say about that -- a myriad of experience from finishing college without a mom, planning a wedding without a mom, being married without a mom, having babies without a mother (my husband's mother has henceforth been a great mom), enduring and surviving his very long illness and all that it encompassed, his death, and the aftermath. My life -- as it is right now. Without a mother.

I became a fatherless daughter when I was 30. I reached for that phone to call my father for years -- he was my encourager, my biggest cheerleader, and held my heart in his tender hands. More loss abounded -- grandparents -- my dear sister's dear husband who died in the war -- and the losses through fighting that good fight -- brain cancer -- that are less definable, like the changes in character, dreams, reality, physical ability and on and on and on.

Faith in God -- in Jesus, my family, my friends, my church -- and, yes, my own surprising resilience -- brought me through all of this. I'm still vertical. I get up every morning (sometimes not so early . . . ) and go to work. I see my friends. I stay in touch with my sisters so far away. I cook for myself. I BELIEVE that there's something left for me to do -- something at least a little important -- like a blob of muddy clay just waiting to evolve into something beautiful? I don't know about that . . . but I really hope it's something USEFUL. Something with a purpose. Some utility. That's me. Resilient with utility.

I want to be a wife, but I am a widow. So as the days, weeks, months, and now years continue to pass -- totally unconcerned about the state of slow motion in which I have been existing -- I have begun to come out of a sort of fog with an understanding of my reality. I have to uncleave. I have to re-become just me -- alone -- not a wife -- not part of a couple -- half of a marriage. Yuck. But also, as that fog burns-off bit by bit, I can even (surprisingly) sense a flicker of excitement. The unknown. A blank sheet of paper. An empty canvas with a palette of beautiful colors and hues teasing me -- beckoning me to take a step away from the comfortable cave. Helping me to get up off of the sofa :-)

Loss, grief, recovery, survival, hope, family, friendship, love. These are things that I know a lot about. These are things through which I might be able to connect to others. What do you think?

24 comments:

  1. Brava, Leslie! -- You SHOULD be writing; you have so much to share and an abundance of ability with which to say it! Beautiful. It resonates deeply, truthfully, for anyone who has suffered loss of any type. THAT is art, and that is heart. I, for one, am blessed that you dared to risk and dared to share. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are one brave, compassionate, faithful, strong, beautiful woman. You actually write very well so keep going, sister! I hope that you will sing again too... a lot. Not only do you have a lovely voice, you will bring a level of expression to the music that many do not have. Love you, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing, Leslie. We need to hear your voice. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are amazing. My heart breaks due to my love for you, and I am saddened that things did not work out the way you must have imagined. At the same time, I admire your resilience and your perseverence. You have always been, and will always be an extraordinary soul - please know that you always have my support and prayers. Thank you for being brave enough to share those intimate feelings with us, thank you for letting us in to share your love, your pain and your growth. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heartfelt words so beautifully said. Thank you for sharing. I believe your words will help others...keep spreading them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leslie, you have always been such an inspiration to me, helped me in my times of need (as well as many others I am sure). You are such a strong, loving person. Thanks for writing, for sharing. I hope you continue to do so. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leslie: Your blog of a beautifully written journey through grief was linked on the bereavement site of CancerCare. I too lost my husband of 40 years to a brain tumor nearly 4 years ago. So I GET it! Keep writing....you are and will help others.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anything I say helps someone else work through their grief, that brings me joy. Thank you for letting me know about the link -- and grace to you and peace as you continue on your journey.

      Delete
  8. Leslie, thank you so much for sharing. It has been 4 years for me with loss of my husband Michael. I also sent my daughter off to college this fall and am alone (not by choice) left with just me and my pets. Life seems to crawl by sometimes and yet at other times I can't figure where the time went. My faith, church family and family continue to sustain me. Keep sharing. I kept a journal for almost 2 years and it has helped me to look back on them to see where God has taken me since the darkness began. Cling to God as you find the "new you". Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your heart with me, Mary Ellen.

      Delete
  9. Love it, Leslie! Keep going! You have a lot to say. So great that you focused on a term "uncleaving." I know that what you have to say can help many, and your honest voice is great as is.

    Also, do download my business blog start up kit at www.informedwebcontent.com (kinda have to scroll down or go to an inner page). It may be overkill for you, but maybe you'll get some marketing stuff out of it. OR just keep going as you are. Gotta run, but more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for taking time to share, Leslie. You definitely have a gift...so real...so creative...so engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing. Your words opened some windows I had been keeping closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart literally swells when I read your words.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for letting us into your world. You have real life experiences that will encourage many of us as we read. It is obvious that God will use your story to touch many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deep gratitude to everyone who is reading -- who has encouraged -- who struggles or who is simply in a happy place. Peace & Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Leslie, Thank you for sharing your inner world with us. You shared david with so many people that you never met, now it is time to share YOU. I have many more thoughts but they will gradually unfold. Much love and light to you, Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Leslie...what a blessing you are to those who reluctantly walk (or crawl along) a similar path. I remember reading about David's death in the GCC newspaper, and have often wondered how on earth you have managed since then without him at your side. I'm so sorry...but I'm also so blessed by your words, even if our situations are so different. Thanks for your courage to take pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) to encourage those who find themselves in the same dark place. God Bless! Rhonda (Boyer) Mendel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, how lovely to hear from you!! Thank you for your words and blessing -- Blessings to you!

      Delete
  16. Leslie, Thanks for makng the effort, it helps in ways I probably haven't even realized yet. I wish you the best of luck on your opportunity to "re-invent" Leslie the way you want to be. Your resiliancy and the strength of your relationship with David are foundations to build upon. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, How wonderful to hear from you. Thank you for your encouraging words! All the best to you and yours!

      Delete
  17. Well Leslie, I get all of this, very much so. I may have even mentioned "still" be a vertical man. I also worry, wonder and hope I can get my daughter through all her future milestones. It makes me terribly sad to think she will most likely get married and most likely have children without her wonderful mom...my wife.

    ReplyDelete